Monday, December 17, 2007

A little bit about MLB and MB

It all started the other day because I was thinking about Mark Linn-Baker, and how I consider myself a fan of his (he's on my list of people I think are awesome, but need to do more things, like Lonny Price), but I've never seen a single episode of Perfect Strangers. No, I like him because of My Favorite Year, Noises Off!, A Year with Frog and Toad, and (or so I thought) Raggedy Ann and Andy: a Musical Adventure.
Now, I may not post about it a lot here (yet), but I'm a big Broadway buff. So, generally, when I wish someone did more things, I actually mean more musicals. More singing. Sadly for me, Mark Linn-Baker has done very few musicals (his debut was Doonesbury the Musical back in 1983. It didn't do well, but I have the cast album LP and I like it *shrug*), so I cling to what I actually have (again, same with Lonny Price). That's why I started thinking about Raggedy Ann and Andy: a Musical Adventure again.
The movie came out in the late 1970's, but the Disney Channel used to play it all the time when I was a kid. I rarely watched it all the way through (once the characters got to Looney Land, I would lose interest), but I generally liked it. So I remember it fondly every now and then, especially the songs. Not too long after I was recently thinking about it, I was going through the archives on Jim Hill Media and found an article about the 30th anniversary of the film's opening that included links to pieces of the film on youtube. Seeing these scenes again got me interested in the film again, so I did some searching and found, among other things, that it was not Mark Linn-Baker who was Andy, as I'd thought for years, but a different actor named Mark Baker. In fact, that Mark Baker was why Mark Linn-Baker added the hyphen to his name (Linn is actually his middle name). And sadly for me, regular Mark Baker has done even less than Mark Linn-Baker, although he was in the 1974 revival of Candide, which is out on CD.

No comments: